Pandemic learning loss worse than initially thought – Toronto Star

The pandemic has affected students at all levels of education. Grades K-12 students are on average up to five months behind, with those in disadvantaged communities up to seven months behind, according to a new report from McKinsey and company.

It has created an alarming situation that threatens college and finding a job that supports their families but potentially impacting the US economy by up to $188 billion every year.

As parents prepare for back-to-school this fall, I have a timely interview opportunity with Child Development Expert, Founder of Fit Learning, and author of the highly acclaimed new book, Blind Spots: Why Students Fail and the Science That Can Save Them (The Collective Book Studio – Available Now), Kimberly Berens, Ph.D., who can share her expert insight on how parents can be prepared if their child is suffering from pandemic learning loss, and how to address it.

Dr. Berens and a team of scientists have spent the last 20 years perfecting a powerful instruction system based on the learning, behavioral, and cognitive sciences that they call Fit Learning. The company, which started in a broom closet, showcases a method of teaching that has been proven to markedly improve how students understand and achieve. They target areas such as basic classroom readiness, phonemic awareness, reading fluency, comprehension, inferential language, basic and advanced mathematics, grammar, and expressive writing.

“When learners struggle, they may be referred for neuropsychological evaluations and classified with learning disabilities, but it’s important for parents to know that your child’s academic struggles will not be due to learning problems,” says Dr. Berens.

“They’re instead due to lack of mastery of essential skills from last year that are needed to build on mastering new skills required of them this year.”

Saeed Akhtar, The Milton Reporter

contact@miltonreporter.ca